If you stopped by yesterday, you already know a few of the things I have planned this summer, but let's face it. When the dog days of summer hit in a month or so, all I'll be thinking about are ways to stay cool.
5 Ways to Beat the Heat
1. Pooltime. We're lucky enough to have a pool practically out our backdoor in our apartment complex, so it's super easy to jump in for a quick cool down. If you're not so lucky, find a community pool or beach that you can hang out at for an afternoon. Or you can always take a cool bath in the privacy of your own bathroom.
2. Don't forget the sunscreen. It won't necessarily help you stay cool in the moment, but it will certainly help you stay cool hours later after you're back home. If you've ever had a bad sunburn, you know how hot and uncomfortable it can make you for days and days.
3. Time of day. Whether you're lounging at the pool or getting in a workout, be mindful of the time of day that you're out and about. Try to do as much as possible in the early mornings before the heat of the day is too strong. Even after the sun has gone down, it might take a few hours before the temps cool down as well.
4. Drink Water. Room Temperature is best. If you're really hot, and you chug lots of ice cold water, you might accidentally trick your body into thinking it's cold, and instead of cooling you down, your body's internal heater might turn on instead. Oops! Remember, sweating is good - as it is your body's natural A/C system.
5. Eat cooler meals. I don't know about you, but my body craves cool, crisp salads and smoothies in the summer. Soups and heavy casseroles are the furthest thing from my mind. I'll enjoy a hot bowl of oatmeal for breakfast in the winter, but will make the switch to smoothies once the seasons turn. One thing I want to try this summer is the oh-so-popular overnight oats.
What are your favorite ways to stay cool in the summer and beat the heat?